Use this sweet sauce to liven up a fruit salad, enrich trifle or form the base for homemade ice-cream.
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar450ml (3/4pt) water
- 30ml (2tbsp) of rum, brandy or orange-flavoured liqueur
Whisk into double cream with some toasted and finely ground nuts, then freeze until solid to make a quick ice-cream.
- Place 225g (8oz) caster sugar in a heavy-based pan with 300ml (1/2pt) water.
- Heat gently until the sugar dissolves, then bring to boil and boil steadily, without stirring, until the syrup thickens and turns a golden caramel colour.
- Remove the pan from the heat and carefully add 150ml (1/4pt) of cold water. The caramel will harden a little when the water is added, so return the pan to the heat and heat gently until dissolved again.
- Stir in 30ml (2tbsp) of rum, brandy or orange-flavoured liqueur, if liked, and leave to cool. More top tips: Use as a sauce for sliced seasonal fruit such as satsumas and pineapple or fruit salad, or pour over the sponge base of a trifle instead of sherry.