Halibut steaks with tomato peppadew sauce
If you are unable to buy halibut, this recipe would work equally well with turbot or a thick haddock steak.
- 4 x 125g (4 1/2 oz) halibut steaks, fresh or defrosted
- 500g (18oz)vine tomatoes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 peppadew peppers, drained
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp saffron
- 2 tsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 300g (11oz) couscous
- 3 tbsp mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- rocket leaves, to garnish
Pepperdews are whole sweet piquante peppers sold in jars and are available in most supermarkets
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F gas 7. Place the tomatoes in a roasting pan and drizzle with a little oil. Roast for 10 mins.
- Place the tomatoes and peppadews in a food processor and blend until smooth. Press through a fine sieve into a pan. Add the saffron and tomato paste and heat gently.
- Pour boiling water over the couscous, cover, season and leave for 5 mins.
- Heat a frying pan until hot, add a little of the olive oil, and fry the fish on both sides for 3 to 4 mins.
- Stir the remaining olive oil into the couscous along with the mint and pine nuts. Spoon the couscous onto warmed plates, top with the halibut and drizzle with the sauce. Garnish with rocket and serve.