Ham and egg tarts
Skill level: Easy peasy
Got some ham and cheese in the fridge? Grab some ready-rolled pastry and make them into something special
- 1 pkt ready-rolled short crust pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 8 slices of ham
- 1 tbsp butter
- 235g (8oz) spinach, well washed
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 2 tbsp grated cheese
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- Unravel the pastry and roll it out to the thickness of a 50p piece. Line four individual tart cases with the pastry taking care to make neat edges.
- Cut four circles of greaseproof paper that are slightly bigger than the tart cases, scrunch them up and sit them in the tarts.
- Fill with baking beans or any dried pulse and bake for 10 mins or until they start to dry out and become golden. Remove the greaseproof and baking beans and place back in the oven for 2 to 3 mins to crisp up.
- Heat the butter in a wide pan. Throw in the spinach and cook for 2 mins or until it has wilted down and released its water. Drain and return to pan.
- Cover with cream and cheese and mix until cheese has melted. Season to taste.
- Lay 2 slices of ham in each tart case, split the spinach mixture between each case and top with a raw egg. Bake in the oven for 15 mins.
- The egg should be cooked but a little runny in the middle. Serve with
- green salad.