Apple champagne ice cream
Makes: 1 litre
For summer nights, make this delicious fruity ice cream with that all-important ingredient - champagne! Perfect for dinner parties.
- 5 apples
- 225g (8oz) sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 300ml (1/2 pt) milk
- 450ml (1/4pt) double cream
- 100ml (3fl oz) champagne or sparkling white wine
This is tasty served with apples diced and sautéed in sugar and a little butter, with a sprig of mint.
- Peel and core the apples, dice the apple flesh into 1cm pieces. Throw away the cores and dice the peel into small pieces. Place the peel into the champagne and set to one side.
- Add the diced apples, butter and 2oz of the sugar into a sauté pan with a lid and quickly fry until soft and lightly golden brown, do not burn. Place with apple peel and champagne and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, place the milk and cream into a sauce pan place on the heat and bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer. Place the yolks and sugar into a bowl and whisk slightly.
- Once the cream and milk is gently simmering, pour while whisking, onto the egg yolks. Place back in the pan quickly and return to the reduced heat, continue whisking gently until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, do not boil.
- Quickly remove from heat and pass through a sieve, allow to cool slightly before placing into an ice cream machine with the apple, peel and champagne and churn until set.
- Remove, place in a container and freeze.