Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Spaghetti carbonara recipe is a classic Italian dish. It's quick and easy to make with egg, Parmesan and plenty of pancetta. This recipe serves 2 people and will take around 15-20 mins to prepare and cook. This traditional carbonara recipe is a real favourite! Infused with salted pancetta, plenty of Parmesan and a clove of garlic, it's the perfect family meal. This pasta dish uses 1 egg and 2 egg yolks to make it richer in flavour and texture. If you don't have any pancetta in the fridge, you could use bacon instead. Follow our step-by-step video guide for delicious pasta every time. If you want to give this pasta a twist add a handful of chestnut mushrooms to make a mushroom carbonara. You could also add spinach and tenderstem broccoli to the pasta too.
If you don't have pancetta in the fridge or can't seem to find it in the supermarket, use bacon instead. It works just as good and is cheaper too!
- 175g spaghetti or linguine
- 65g diced pancetta, or smoked streaky bacon, snipped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 egg, plus 2 yolks
- 25g Parmesan, grated
- Boil the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water.
- Add oil to a frying pan and fry pancetta for a few minutes until golden and crisp. Add garlic, fry for 1 minute, then turn off the heat.
- Lightly whisk egg and yolks with most of the Parmesan and some salt and pepper (reserve a little to garnish).
- Drain pasta, reserving a little of the cooking water.
- Add eggs and 1 tbsp cooking water to the pasta, then mix until pasta is coated and creamy. Stir in the pancetta and garlic then serve, topped with the remaining Parmesan.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.