Cooking time:(may need an extra 5 mins)
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Bit of effort
Banana bread that comes out perfectly every time. You'll never need another banana bread recipe as the whole family will love this one - and it's SO easy! This banana bread recipe is the perfect way to make the most of the bananas that have started to go brown in the fruit bowl. You can either just slice this banana bread up and eat it as it is, or it's just as nice toasted with a little butter on it. Over-ripe bananas are often thrown away, but this classic recipe is the best way to use them up and you'll never want to throw them away ever again! Ripe bananas give the loaf a lovely moist texture with a rich flavour. The thick dough takes a little longer than your average cake to bake, but it's worth the wait. A slice of this flavour-packed cake is a perfect treat for breakfast (try it with a spread of butter), parties or just a little afternoon treat with a cup of tea.
Don't throw away bananas if they start to turn brown – just pop them in the freezer. Use frozen for smoothies, or defrost to make banana bread and cakes.Ellie Jameson, 39, Birmingham
- 75g (3oz) butter or margarine
- 100g (4oz) soft brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- ½tsp ground allspice and a pinch of salt
- Handful of dried fruit (dates are good) or chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190C, gas 5. Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until fluffy then beat in the egg gradually.
- Add dried fruit. Mash the bananas then stir into the mixture. Fold in the flour, allspice and salt.
- Spoon into a greased and lined loaf tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 35-40 mins, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- When cooked, leave the banana bread in the tin for a few mins before turning out to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve the banana bread sliced, spread with butter or margarine.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.