Egg fried rice with red peppers
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Egg fried rice with red peppers is a peppery, fiery rice dish that's the perfect compliment to an Thai curry. You can easily add some chicken, prawn, beef or even pork to this dish if you want to create a filling meal, rather than just a side. If you've had a roast on the weekend and you've got leftover meat, you simply need to shred it and add it in the final stages just so you can heat it through. Ready in 20 minutes, this is a speedy dinner option that you can make any night of the week. The kids can even help you if you want - they can add all the ingredients in if you have them in little bowls waiting and ready to go.
- 1 egg
- 2tsp sesame oil
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g (7oz) long-grain rice (uncooked weight) cooked and left to go cold
- 100g (4oz) red peppers, chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2tsp soy sauce
- Ground white pepper
You can add prawns or ham if you want extra flavour, or try vegetables like corn, carrots, peas and beans. A little grated ginger will give an extra kick.
- Beat together the egg and sesame oil.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or frying pan until it's smoking hot. Add the rice and stir-fry for 3-4 mins.
- Add the red peppers and spring onions. Stir-fry for 3 mins, moving the rice around the pan. Add the soy sauce and pepper, then separate off to one side of the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture into the other side and leave for about 10 secs until it begins to set. Swirl the egg around to break it up and then mix with the rice.
- Stir-fry for another min, scatter with coriander and serve.