Honeyed Chinese pork
Prep time:+ marinating
Skill level: Easy peasy
Deliciously sticky ribs with heaps of flavour - you'll need the paper napkins on hand for these little beauties!
- 1.2kg short pork ribs
- 1 litre carton apple juice
- Chinese cabbage leaves, to serve
For the marinade
- 1tbsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 4tbsp soy sauce
- 4tbsp honey
- 2tbsp tomato purée
Marinating the ribs the day before and leaving them in the fridge overnight will really let those flavours go to town.
- Place the ribs in a large saucepan and pour over the apple juice. Add enough cold water to cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins until cooked through. Skim off any scum that comes to the surface with a slotted spoon. Drain, discard the cooking liquid and place in a large, shallow, non-metallic dish.
- Combine the marinade ingredients and pour over the ribs. Combine until completely coated - the best way to do this is with clean hands. Marinate overnight in the fridge or for at least 1 hour on the day.
- Cook on the barbecue for 10-15 mins, turning frequently until meat is beginning to char. Serve each rib inside a Chinese cabbage leaf for easy eating.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 250(kcal)
- Fat 6.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.