Chicken and sweetcorn chowder
Costs: Cheap as chips
Easy to make, creamy and delicious, with the sweetness of corn and the smokiness of bacon - serve with crusty bread.
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 150g smoked bacon, diced
- 300g chicken to pan, diced
- 350g potatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3/4 bunch of spring onions
- 900ml chicken stock
- 2tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 272g canned sweetcorn, drained
- 142ml double cream
- Heat 1tbsp sunflower oil in a large, non-stick pan. Add 150g chopped smoked bacon; cook for 5 mins until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add 300g diced chicken to pan; fry until golden.
- Add 350g diced potatoes, 2 crushed garlic cloves and 3/4 bunch of spring onions. Cook for 2 mins.
- Add 900ml chicken stock and 2tbsp chopped fresh thyme; bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 10 mins.
- Stir in 272g canned, drained sweetcorn and 142ml double cream, return bacon to pan and simmer for 5 mins. Mash potatoes a little to thicken the soup, making sure it stays textured. Serve topped with spring onions.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 526(kcal)
- Fat 32.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.