Tamarind prawns with coconut dip
Typical of southern India, this starter is ideal for a party, as it can be prepared ahead
For the dip:
- 3tbsp thick natural yogurt
- 4 tbsp dessicated coconut
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
For the prawns:
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste 2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 1/4tsp crushed chillies
- 1tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1/2tsp ground coriander
- 450g large raw peeled prawns
- Combine the dip ingredients, season well; chill until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, combine the tamarind, sugar and spices in a large non metallic bowl. Season well and add the prawns. Stir to coat and set to one side to marinate.
- Preheat the grill to its hottest. Skewer prawns and grill for about 5-8 mins until cooked through, spooning over any excess marinade. Serve the prawns with the yogurt dip, crisp salad leaves and plenty of fresh limes for squeezing over.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 250(kcal)
- Fat 12.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.