Chicken , rocket and pine nuts pastry
Cooking time:(may need an extra 5 mins)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Splashing out
These chicken, rocket and pine nut pastries are great eaten cold for summertime picnics and parties but are also just as good hot, served with vegetables
- 1 x 500g block frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 35g (1 1/2oz) pine nuts
- 60g (2 1/4oz) rocket, washed and drained
- 4 chicken breast fillets, skinned
- Salt and black pepper
- Beaten egg to glaze
You could also brush a little garlic butter on the chicken before you wrap it in the pastry for extra flavour.
- Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7
- Gently heat the oil in a frying pan, then add the spring onions and sauté; for 5 mins until just starting to get tender. Add the pine nuts and continue cooking for another 3-4 mins , stirring all the while. Remove pan from heat and stir in the rocket so that it wilts slightly. Let the mixture cool.
- Take each chicken breast and slit them horizontally through the thickest part, open out and flatten with the palm of your hand. Divide the rocket mixture between the breasts, spread over surface and roll up from widest end.
- Roll out pastry to a rectangle approx. 16in x 14in cut into 4 equal rectangles. Lay each rolled chicken breast on a piece of pastry, brush edges with beaten egg and bring up sides to meet in middle of chicken. Press together firmly to seal, turn over and press and seal ends, knock up and flute if desired.
- Make slits in top of each parcel, brush with beaten egg. Bake for 20-25 mins until the pastry is risen and golden brown.