Plum and walnut tart
Serves: 6 - 8
A delicious, syrupy treat with soft plums and demerara sugar- make larger portions if you fancy a naughty snack later!
- 250g (9oz) frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 100gms (4oz) walnuts
- 5 tbsp golden syrup
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 3 large eggs, one separated
- 100g (4oz) light brown sugar
- 6 plums, halved and stoned
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Have ready an oblong flan tin 11x35cm (4.5x13.5ins) or a deep 24cm (9ins) flan tin. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
- Finely chop one quarter of the pecan nuts and lightly knead them into the pastry.
- Roll out pastry and use to line the flan tin. Bake Blind for 10 minutes, remove beans and paper and return to oven for further 5 mins.
- Lightly whisk the separated egg white and use some to brush over the base and sides of the flan. Leave in the fridge while making the filling.
- Melt together the butter and syrup, then beat together with the eggs, including yolk of the separated one, sugar and essence. Roughly chop remaining walnuts.
- Remove tart case from oven and brush base all over with beaten egg white. Whisk any left over into syrup mixture.
- Place tart in tin on a baking sheet. Lay plum halves in tart, scatter with remaining pecans and carefully pour over the egg mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 mins until mixture is set and a knife point comes out clean when inserted. Serve warm or cold.