Rhubarb and orange tart
This dessert mixes light, citrus fruit and veg with luxurious double cream and butter shortcrust pastry.
- 1 x 500g pack frozen all butter shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 3 eggs
- 135g (5 1/2oz) caster sugar
- Juice and rind of 2 oranges
- 125ml (5floz) double cream
- 400g (14oz) rhubarb, washed and cut into short lengths
- Icing sugar for dredging.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Roll out pastry large enough and line a 23cm (9in) flan tin.
- Combine prepared rhubarb with 75g (3oz) caster sugar and place in an ovenproof dish, covered.
- Place pastry in oven and bake blind for about 18 mins, removing beans and paper for final 5-7 mins. At the same time, place rhubarb in the oven on the other shelf, stirring once or twice and cook until just al dente (firm to the bite, but cooked through). Once both have finished reduce oven temp. to 160ºC/325ºF/ gas 3.
- Drain juices off rhubarb (keeping to serve with flan) and scatter approx. one third of fruit over cooked flan base.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs and sugar together until pale. Whisk in the finely grated rind and juice of the oranges. In a separate bowl, lightly whip the cream until just holding in peaks, then gently whisk into the egg mixture.
- Gently pour the egg mixture into flan and return to the oven to bake for 35 to 40 mins until the custard is just set. Remove and cool.
- To serve, scatter remaining rhubarb over the top and dredge with icing sugar.