Olive and caper puffs
These savoury puffs are based on the classic French palmier biscuits. Filled with a tasty olive and caper paste, they make great party food.
- 1x500g (18oz) pack of frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 150g (5oz) tapenade (puréed olives, capers and olive oil which you can buy at the supermarket)
- Beaten egg for glazing
- Preheat oven to 220ºC/450ºF/gas 7. Roll out pastry to a rectangle approx. 40 x 30cm (14x12ins). Cut in half to give two 18 x 30cm (7x12ins rectangles.
- Spread half the tapenade over one pastry piece. Fold in the long edges by approx. 2cm (3/4in). Continue to do this twice more.
- Brush pastry with beaten egg then press the two sides together to give a long 'roll'.
- Wrap in cling film and chill in fridge. Repeat with second half of pastry.
- With a sharp knife, cut the rolls on the diagonal into approx. 18 slices per roll. Lay cut side up on baking sheet and glaze with beaten egg.
- Bake for 10 – 12 mins until golden brown and risen. Serve warm.