Turkey, venison and cranberry cups
If you fancy turkey, but don't want the stress of cooking a a whole bird why not try out these tasty little pastries. Made with turkey, sausagemeat and topped with cranberries they truly are a Christmas delight.
- 1x500g (18oz) block shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 450g (1lb) pack Venison or other premium sausages or sausagemeat (remove skins if sausages)
- 300g (11oz) cooked turkey, diced
For the topping
- 250g (9oz) pack fresh or frozen cranberries
- Juice and grated rind of 1 medium orange
- 2-3tbsp. caster sugar to taste
- 1tsp. arrowroot or cornflour, mixed with sufficient cold water to form a smooth paste
- Preheat oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6. Roll out pastry and cut out 12 rounds using an 11.5cm (41/2in) cutter. Use to line a 12-hole or 2x6-hole muffin tin. (You will need to re-roll the pastry once to achieve this number.
- Combine sausagemeat and turkey and divide between pastry cases, OR divide half sausagemeat between cases, top with tightly packed turkey meat and then finish with remaining sausagemeat.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until pastry is golden brown and meat cooked.
- 4 Meanwhile, gently cook the cranberries with the orange juice, rind and sugar until berries are softened. Thicken with arrowroot or cornflour and cool slightly.
- Carefully remove pies from tin, place on a wire rack and top with cranberry mixture. Serve warm or cold