Aubergine and goat's cheese parcels with cranberry sauce
This delicious dish is lovely as a starter or light lunch dish. Use the crottins (small barrel shapes) of goat's cheese.
- 3 sheets frozen filo pastry, thawed
- 1 small aubergine
- Olive oil for sautéeing
- 2 crottins goat's cheese
- Melted butter for brushing
- 150g (6oz) fresh cranberries
- Juice and rind of 1 small orange
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- Slice aubergine and gently sauté in olive oil until just browning. Leave to cool. Cut each cheese in half horizontally. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 4
- Open out pastry and cut 3 x 15cm (6in) squares from 2 sheets and 2 from the last sheet. (you can use leftover pastry for a few tartlet cases to keep in reserve)
- Brushing each square lightly with butter, layer up in pairs with the corners offset. Place 1-2 slices of aubergine in centre of each pastry, stack, top with a half cheese and bring up pastry around sides and top to form a purse. Squeeze together gently at top to seal, open out corners and lightly brush with butter.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for about 8 mins until the pastry is just golden.
- Meanwhile cook cranberries with the juice and rind of the orange and sugar. Simmer until berries 'pop', stirring frequently. Serve parcels immediately (the cheese will be beautifully soft and slightly oozing), with the warm cranberry sauce.