Chicken and ham in puff pastry
Skill level: Easy peasy
Nothing could be easier than wrapping chicken breasts up in puff pastry to give a classic en croute dish. We've added a tasty twist by stuffing the breast with ham and sundried tomatoes.
- 1 x 500g block frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 6 slices ham
- 4 pieces sundried tomato, chopped or snipped with scissors
- 4 chicken breast fillets, skinned
- Salt and black pepper
- Beaten egg to glaze
- Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7.
- Take each chicken breast and slit them horizontally through the thickest part, open out and flatten with the palm of your hand. Lay one and a half slices of ham on each opened chicken breast and scatter with the chopped tomato. Lightly season with salt and pepper and then roll up the chicken breasts from the widest end.
- Roll out pastry to a rectangle approx. 16in x 14in cut into 4 equal rectangles. Lay each rolled chicken breast on a piece of pastry, brush edges with beaten egg and bring up sides to meet in middle of chicken. Press together firmly to seal, turn over and press and seal ends, knock up and flute if desired.
- Make slits in top of each parcel, brush with beaten egg and decorate with leaves or other shapes cut from pastry trimmings. Bake for 20-25 mins until the pastry is risen and golden brown.