Pasta bake with pumpkin
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This dish takes the pumpkin out of its usual Halloween setting and uses it to add flavour to a delicious pasta bake.
- 400g (14oz) of your favourite pasta shapes
- 1 500g jar of ready-made tomato pasta sauce with onions and garlic
- 1 large onion
- 2dsp extra virgin olive oil
- 500g (18oz) pumpkin, peeled and diced into 2cm chunks
- 1/2 sliced red pepper
- 1/2 sliced green pepper
- 150g cannellini beans, cooked or use a 400g can, drained
- 1 small handful of fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 150g chopped low fat buffalo mozzarella
- 80g parmesan cheese, grated
- 3tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Set oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5.
- Cook the pasta as per packet instructions. Cool under cold running water
- drain and toss in a little olive oil to prevent it sticking together.
- Fry onion in the oil until translucent, then add pumpkin and continue to cook
- for 10 mins
- Stir in the peppers and continue to cook for 5 mins
- Add the beans, sauce, chopped sage leaves, lemon zest and juice. Season to taste. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins.
- Stir in the cooked pasta, check seasoning and spoon into an ovenproof dish. Top with cheeses and breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 mins until golden
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 719(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.