Pesto, goat's cheese and tomato pizza
You can make this in the time it takes to order and receive a home delivery pizza.. and this is SO much cheaper!
- 350g (12oz) white bread flour
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp unrefined golden caster sugar
- 1tsp yeast
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 200ml (7floz) warm water
- 5tbsp cornmeal
- 6tbsp basil pesto
- 250g (9oz) goat's cheese, sliced
- 100g (31/2oz) sunblush tomatoes in olive oil (from the deli counter)
The best pizzas are cooked in really hot ovens to make their bases crisp. If the oven is preheated with a baking sheet it will conduct more heat and keep the pizza crisp. You can use a breadmaker to make the base. Put the dough ingredients into the bread maker bucket, following the order and method specified on the manual. Fit the bucket into the bread maker and set to the dough programme with the pizza setting, if available, if not then the dough setting. Press start. Shape and bake as above.
- Put the flour, salt, caster sugar and yeast into a bowl. Pour over the olive oil and warm water.
- Mix together with your hands until the mixture combines to make a rough dough ball.
- 3 Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and stretch and knead the dough for 10 mins until smooth and elastic.
- Sprinkle half of the cornmeal onto the surface, roll out to a 30cm (12in round), sprinkling with a little more cornmeal as you go. Lift it onto a greased round baking tray.
- Spread the basil pesto onto the pizza dough, leaving 1cm (1/2in) rim. Arrange the goat's cheese on top and scatter over the tomatoes. Drizzle over some of the olive oil from the tomatoes. Season with salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
- Cover loosely with cling film and leave in a warm place to rise for 15 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7 with another pizza tray or flat baking sheet. Uncover and bake the pizza for 15-20 mins until the topping is pale golden and the base is crisp.