Strawberry oat crumble
A hearty, sugary dessert with a nutty macadamia flavour. A perfect end to a summer meal, served with cold cream.
- 700g (1lb 9oz) strawberries
- 140g (5oz) unrefined demerara sugar
- 115g (4oz) plain wholemeal flour
- 85g (3oz) butter
- 1tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 100g (3 1/2oz) macadamia nuts
- 50g (1 3/4oz) rolled porridge oats
- Clotted cream or custard
Add more sugar to the strawberries if they are not that sweet.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. Place the strawberries in a 20cm (8 in) x 25cm (10 in) ovenproof dish and sprinkle over 30g (1oz) of the demerara sugar.
- In a food processor whiz together the flour, remaining sugar and butter until combined.
- Add the pepper, nuts and oats and pulse until the nuts are roughly chopped.
- Tip the crumble mix over the strawberries, spread out evenly and press down. Use a fork to loosen the top a little and bake in the oven for 35 mins until golden. Serve with clotted cream or custard.