A glorious, sugary indulgence made with ground almonds, demerara sugar and fresh raspberries.
- 250g (9 oz) unrefined golden icing sugar
- 70g (2 1/2 oz) wholemeal self raising flour
- 100g (3 1/2 oz) ground almonds
- 5 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 175g (6 oz) salted butter, melted
- 1tspn almond extract
- 150g (5 1/2 oz) fresh raspberries
- Unrefined golden icing sugar, for dusting
Top the friands with blueberries for an alternative to raspberries.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°F/gas 6
- Place 12 muffin cases in a muffin tin.
- Sift the sugar and wholemeal flour into a large jug.
- Add the ground almonds, egg whites, butter and almond essence and whisk until smooth.
- Pour this mixture between the muffin cases, and top with the raspberries.
- Bake in the oven for 25 mins or until the friands are golden and spring back when pressed.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 mins, remove and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.