Cherry tomato risotto
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Tomatoes are bursting with healthy. Here, sweet cherry tomatoes are combined with vegetables, rice and stock to create a satisfyingly filling meal that's good for you too.
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 600ml (1pt) vegetable stock
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 2tbsp fresh chopped oregano or 1tsp dried
- 150g (5oz) risotto or camargue red rice
- 250g (9oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- Parmesan-like cheese shavings to garnish
- Oregano to garnish
The risotto is also good with a few mushrooms added at the beginning and simmered along with the onion and celery.
- Pour the tomato soup into a saucepan and add the vegetable stock, onion, garlic, celery and oregano. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 5 mins.
- Tip the rice into the pan and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook the rice slowly for 17?20 mins, stirring it occasionally, until the rice is almost tender. If you are using camargue red rice, this takes slightly longer to cook (up to 25 mins), in which case you might need to add some more stock towards the end of cooking.
- Stir in the halved tomatoes and cook for 2?3 mins, or until the tomatoes have heated through. Season to taste. Serve garnished with parmesan shavings and oregano and accompanied with a green salad.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 510(kcal)
- Fat 13.0g
- Saturates 1.1g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.