Fried squid and garlic mayo
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Splashing out
Fried squid is a soft, succulent dish- the garlic mayo adds a cheeky fast food flavour.
- 6 squid pouches
- 200ml (7fl oz) water
- 75g (3oz) plain flour
- Cooking oil
- Lemon or lime juice
- Fresh parsley
- Garlic mayonnaise
- Cut the squid pouches into thick rings. Pat dry on kitchen paper.
- Pour the water into a bowl and sift over plain flour and a large pinch of salt.
- Whisk well until smooth.
- Dip the squid rings in the batter mix, then deep-fry, in batches, in hot oil for 2-3 mins until crisp and golden.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Season with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, a squeeze of lime or lemon juice and some chopped fresh parsley. Serve with garlic mayonnaise.