Berry compote with lemon syllabub
The arrowroot in this recipe gives a powerful, lasting flavour, and is the perfect addition to the berries and lemon.
For the compote100g
- (4oz) caster sugar
- 500g bag frozen summer fruits
- 10ml (2tsp) arrowroot
For the syllabub
- 25g (1oz) caster sugar
- 50ml (2fl oz) sweet white wine or sherry
- 30ml (2tbsp) lemon juice
- 300ml (1/2pt) double cream
- Almond wafer biscuits, to serve
- To make the compote: place the caster sugar and 300ml (1/2pt) water in a large pan. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves, then add the frozen fruit. Simmer for 5-10 mins.
- Blend the arrowroot with 30ml (2tbsp) water and stir into the fruit. Simmer gently, stirring for 3-4 mins, until the fruit mixture thickens slightly. Leave to cool.
- To make the syllabub: mix the sugar, wine/sherry and lemon juice in a jug and leave for 10 mins. Pour the cream into a bowl and whisk until softly peaking. Gradually whisk in the lemon and wine mixture.
- Divide the compote between 4 serving glasses and top with the syllabub. Crumble a biscuit and sprinkle over the syllabubs. Serve with the rest of the biscuits.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 470(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.