Blackberry and clotted cream palmiers
Skill level: Easy peasy
Palmiers are really easy to make yet look really impressive. Enjoy these biscuits on their own with a cuppa or as a fancy dinner party dessert.
- 225g (8oz) puff pastry
- 15g (½oz) butter, melted
- 50g (2oz) golden caster sugar
- 175g (6oz) blackberries
- 227ml (8fl oz) clotted cream
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7). To make the palmier biscuits, roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 20cm x 25cm (8in x 10in) rectangle. Brush with the melted butter, then sprinkle over 30ml (2tbsp) of the caster sugar.
- Loosely roll the 2 longer sides of the pastry into the centre until they meet. Cut across the roll into 16 equal-size pieces. Place each palmier, cut-side down, on the floured surface and flatten with the palm of your hand until almost doubled in size. Place on a large dampened baking tray. Bake for 8-10 mins until crisp and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Place the rest of the sugar and 45ml (3tbsp) water in a pan. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved, then oil for 2-3 mins until syrup. Add the blackberries and remove from the heat. Leave to cool.
- Sandwich the palmiers with clotted cream and the blackberries and syrup and serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 326(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.