Blueberry and apple cake
Cooking time:(may need 15 mins extra)
Skill level: Easy peasy
This classic blueberry and apple cake is a real comforter- forget the calories and treat yourself!
- 250g (9oz) self-raising flour5ml (1tsp) baking powder
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 150g (5oz) melted butter
- 2 small peeled, cored and chopped apples
- 175g (6oz) fresh blueberries
- 75g (3oz) sifted icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas 3.
- Place the self-raising flour in a bowl with the baking powder, caster sugar, eggs and melted butter. Beat with an electric whisk until smooth.
- Fold in 2 small peeled, cored and chopped apples and 175g (6oz) fresh blueberries.
- Grease a 20cm (8in) square cake tin and line with baking parchment. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 1-1 1/4 hrs until golden and firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out and leave to cool completely.
- Mix the icing sugar with 30-45ml (2-3tbsp) warm water to make a smooth icing. Spread over the cake. Leave until set, then cut into 12 squares.