Cherry frangipane slice
Makes: 8-10 slices
Cooking time:(may need 5 mins extra)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Frangipane is a sweet almond, egg, butter and sugar mixture that can be used in pastries, tarts and pies. Try this quick and easy recipe which tastes just as delicious hot as it does cold.
- 225g (8oz) puff pastry
- 50g (2oz) softened butter
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 40g (11/2oz) ground almonds
- 30ml (2tbsp) plain flour
- 1 medium egg
- 75ml (5tbsp) canned cherry pie filling
11 x 34cm (4 x 13in) oblong flan tin
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF/gas 7. Roll out puff pastry and use it to line the flan tin - there's no need to trim the pastry edges. Prick the base all over with the prongs of a fork and chill while making the filling.
- Beat together softened butter and caster sugar with the ground almonds, plain flour and 1 egg. Spread this frangipane mixture in the chilled pastry case.
- Spoon all of the canned cherry pie filling down the centre and fold any excess pastry edges in over the frangipane.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg. Place the flan tin on a hot baking sheet and bake for 15-20 mins until the pastry's risen and golden. Dust with icing sugar to serve.