Cappuccini chocolate mousses
Prep time:plus chilling
These mousses are the perfect chocolate treat! Great also if you need that extra caffeine boost.
- 200g (7oz) good quality plain chocolate
- 45ml (3tbsp) strong black coffee
- 450ml (3/4pt) double cream
- 2 medium eggs, separated
- Chocolate shavings and cocoa powder, to decorate
The mousses contain raw eggs and the Food Standards Agency advises the young, elderly and pregnant women to avoid them. Substitute eggs with 200g tub of Greek yogurt, folding it in to the cooled chocolate before the cream. For more info on what foods to avoid when pregnant have a look at our pregnancy and food article.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a heatproof bowl with the coffee. Set over a pan of simmering water and leave until the chocolate has melted. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir until smooth. Cool for 10 mins.
- Pour 300ml (1/2pt) of the cream into a bowl and whisk until softly peaking. Beat the eggs into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the cream. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon the chocolate mixture into 6 glasses or small coffee cups and chill for 1 hr or until just set. Softly whip the rest of the cream and spoon on top of each mousse. Decorate with chocolate shavings and dust lightly with cocoa powder. Serve immediately or chill until required.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 565(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.