Pan fried duck with sweet and sour sauce
This traditional oriental recipe is easy to whip up at home, and perfect as a romantic meal for two!
- 2 duck breast fillets
- 45ml (3tbsp) sugar
- 45ml (3tbsp) white wine vinegar
- 15ml (1tbsp) soy sauce
- 15ml (1tbsp) tomato ketchup
- 5ml (1tsp) cornflour
- 45ml (3tbsp) water
- Season 2 duck breast fillets with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan until medium-hot, then lay the duck breasts, fat side down, in the hot pan.
- Fry for 3-4 mins until the skin's crisp and golden, then turn over and fry for a further 6-8 mins until the duck's cooked to your liking.
- Remove and cover and keep warm. Mix 45ml (3tbsp) each sugar and white wine vinegar, 15ml (1tbsp) each soy sauce and tomato ketchup, 5ml (1tsp) cornflour and 45ml (3tbsp) water.
- Drain off nearly all the fat from the frying pan and add the sauce to the pan. Simmer for 3-4 mins until thickened.
- Slice the duck breasts and serve on steamed green beans and baby sweetcorn. Pour over the sweet and sour sauce.