Tomato and aubergine bake
Looking for a mouth-watering side dish? This recipe is so versatile - have with chicken or as a main vegetarian meal
- Large aubergine
- Tbsp olive oil
- 2 thickly sliced beef tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dried Italian herbs
- 120g (4oz) diced mozzarella
- 30g (1oz) grated Parmesan
- Bunch fresh basil leaves
- Thinly slice a large aubergine and brush each slice liberally with olive oil.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan and fry the slices for 1-2 mins on each side until just golden.
- Layer the fried slices in a shallow ovenproof dish with 2 thickly sliced beef tomatoes, seasoning each layer with salt and freshly ground black pepper and some dried Italian herbs.
- Bake in a very hot oven for 15 mins then top with diced mozzarella and some grated Parmesan and return to the oven for a further 10-15 mins until golden and bubbling.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves.