Thai beef and chilli salad
Prep time:plus marinating
Skill level: Bit of effort
A great Thai recipe with sweet chilli sauce and succulent beef - fresh, chopped vegetables work great as a garnish.
- 2 x 225g (8oz) fillet or sirloin steaks
- 15ml (1tbsp) lime juice
- 30ml (2tbsp) light soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1tsp dried chilli flakes
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 8 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 100g (4oz) fresh bean sprouts
- 10cm (4in) piece cucumber, thinly sliced
- 4 firm plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 x 250g bag mixed salad leaves
For the dressing
- Juice from 2 limes
- 45ml (3tbsp) Thai fish sauce
- 2tsp brown sugar
- 1tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- 1tsp finely chopped lemongrass
- Place the steaks in a shallow dish. Mix together the lime juice, soy sauce, garlic and chilli flakes. Season with freshly ground black pepper, cover and leave to marinate for 1 hr.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or griddle until very hot. Add the steaks and cook for 4-6 mins on each side. Remove and leave to rest for 15 mins.
- Toss together the spring onions, radishes, bean sprouts, cucumber, tomatoes and salad leaves. Mix together all the dressing ingredients, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Slice the warm steak thinly across the grain. Toss gently into the salad with the dressing. Pile into a large, shallow dish and serve immediately or leave to cool and serve chilled.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 270(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.