Shredded coconut mallow and jam squares
An indulgent, sugary treat that's perfect after a tiring day. Make smaller portions if you're looking for a quick and easy kids' party food.
- 100g softened butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 175g plain flour
- 60ml seedless jam
- 2 medium eggs
- 25g shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4.
- Cream 100g (4oz) softened butter with 50g (2oz) caster sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in 175g (6oz) plain flour until the mixture binds together.
- Knead lightly on a floured surface then use your fingers to press the mixture evenly into a greased and lined 20cm (8in) square cake tin.
- Prick all over with a fork and bake for 20 mins until pale golden.
- Cool. Spread 60ml (4tbsp) seedless jam over the base.
- Whisk 2 medium egg whites until stiff then gradually whisk in 75g (3oz) caster sugar to make a firm, glossy meringue. Fold in 25g (1oz) shredded coconut.
- Spread the meringue over the jam and sprinkle with 30ml (2tbsp) shredded coconut.
- Bake for a further 10-15 mins until the meringue is crisp and browned.
- Cool, then cut into 9 squares.