Spiced apple wedges with butterscotch sauce
The butterscotch sauce on these spiced apple wedges takes a lot of the bitterness from the fruit- a perfect way to get kids into fruit!
- 2 large eating apples (such as Braeburns)
- 75g (1oz) butter
- 75g (3oz) soft brown sugar
- 100g (4oz) golden syrup
- 150ml (1/4pt) double cream
- Pot of thick cream or plain yogurt.
- Cut the apples into wedges and sprinkle with ground mixed spice.
- Heat 25g (1oz) butter in a non-stick frying pan and fry the apple wedges until golden and beginning to soften.
- In a separate pan melt 50g (2oz) butter with the soft brown sugar and golden syrup.
- Cook gently for 5 mins, then remove from the heat and stir in double cream.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice and return to the heat for 1-2 mins.
- Pour the hot sauce over the apple wedges and serve with thick cream or plain yogurt.