A wonderfully flavoured Middle-Eastern dish, packed with fresh red onion, tomato and cucumber.
- 4 chicken fillets
- 60ml (4tbsp) olive oil
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- 225g (8oz) bulgar wheat
- Half a red onion, finely chopped
- Quarter of a cucumber, finely diced
- 4 large tomatoes, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 45ml (3tbsp) fresh chopped mint
- 45ml (3tbsp) fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges, to garnish
For the best flavour, prepare the tabbouleh at least 3-4 hrs in advance or the day before. Cover and chill in the fridge, but allow to stand at room temperature for around 30 mins before serving.
- Place the chicken fillets in a shallow dish. Mix together 15ml (1tbsp) each of the oil and lemon juice and pour over the chicken. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Cover and marinate for 30 mins.
- Place the bulgar wheat in a heatproof bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover. Leave to soak for 15-20 mins, then drain off any excess liquid. Stir in the onion, cucumber, tomatoes, mint and parsley. Add the remaining oil and lemon juice and stir thoroughly. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or heavy frying pan and cook the chicken for 6-8 mins on each side until cooked through.
- Divide the tabbouleh between 4 serving dishes. Slice the warm chicken fillets and arrange on the top. Garnish with lemon wedges.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 490(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.