Cooking time:(may need 5 mins extra)
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
This simple butterfly buns recipe is a bake sale favourite! The kids are going to love making them! In just a few simple steps you can have these tasty butterfly cakes ready in 40 mins, so they’re quick to make as well as easy. This recipe makes 10 medium sized butterfly buns. Each bun is packed with buttercream and jam making them a delicious treat for kids. This recipe is so easy to make and get the kids involved. They can help measure ingredients, mix and pour the batter as well as make the cake 'wings' too. These butterfly buns would be ideal for kids’ parties or as a party favour in goody bags. This recipe shows you how to make your own buttercream too for 100% homemade butterfly cakes - so nobody can accuse you of copping out!
Swap the jam for something naughtier like peanut butter or chocolate spread.
For the buns:
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 100g (4oz) butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 100g (4oz) self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 15ml (1tbsp) milk
For the buttercream:
- 50g (2oz) butter, softened
- 75g (3oz) icing sugar
- 2tbsp strawberry jam
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 190C, gas 5. Line a muffin tray with 10 paper muffin cases.
- Place the sugar, butter, eggs, flour, baking powder and milk in a large bowl and mix with an electric whisk until pale and creamy.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and bake for 15-20 mins until risen, golden and firm to the touch. Transfer to a cooling rack. Leave to cool.
- To make the buttercream, place the butter in a bowl and sift over the icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
- Slice the tops off each cake and fill the cavities with a little buttercream and jam. Cut each sliced top in half and arrange on top of the filling to resemble butterfly wings. Dust lightly with icing sugar.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 260(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.