Skill level: Easy peasy
Potato tortillas are a staple of Spanish/Mexican cuisine- partly because they are so easy to make! This recipe uses mature cheddar for a delicious cheesy flavour.
- 450g (1lb) potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 6 large eggs
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 10ml (2tsp) dried mixed herbs
- 50g (2oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salad and olives, to serve
This Spanish baked omelette is ideal for packed lunches and picnics. Allow to cool completely, then wrap in greaseproof paper. It will keep in the fridge for 24 hrs.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4. Grease a 19 x 23cm (71/2 x 9in) cake tin.
- Cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water for 3-4 mins. Drain well and arrange in the cake tin.
- Beat together the eggs, garlic, mixed herbs and two-thirds of the cheese. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and pour the seasoned mixture over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese. Bake for 20-25 mins until golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool for 10 mins, then cut into wedges. Serve warm or cold with salad and olives.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 185(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.