Rippled strawberry mousse
Prep time:plus chilling
Make your very own fro-yo with this great recipe- a perfect summer treat, and far cheaper than the shop!
- 550g (1lb 4oz) strawberries, hulled
- 25g (1oz) icing sugar
- 30ml (2tbsp) lemon juice
- 7g sachet powdered gelatine
- 600ml (1pt) double cream
- 2 large egg whites
- Lemon thins, to serve (see above)
- Reserve 6 small strawberries for decoration, chop the rest and place in a food processor or blender, and process to a pulp. Push the pulp through a fine-holed sieve to make a smooth purée. Stir in the icing sugar and ?lemon juice.
- Sprinkle the gelatine over 60ml (4tbsp) hot water and stir until dissolved (if the gelatine doesn't dissolve completely, sit the bowl in a pan of very gently simmering water for 1-2 mins). Cool for 10 mins, then gradually fold into the strawberry purée. Chill for 15 mins until just beginning to set.
- Whip the cream until it just holds its shape, and fold in two-thirds of the purée. Whisk the egg whites until softly peaking and fold into the cream mixture. Layer the rest of the purée and cream mixture in 6 serving glasses. Chill for 2 hrs or until set. Decorate with the reserved strawberries and serve with lemon thins.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 470(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.