These rhubarb mallows have a gorgeous gingery aftertaste- the perfect treat for kids and adults alike!
- 450g (1lb) rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 15ml (1tbsp) stem ginger syrup
- 2 medium egg whites
- 10ml (2tsp) chopped stem ginger
- Place the rhubarb, half the sugar and 60ml (4tbsp) water in a pan. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves, then cover and simmer for about 10 mins until the rhubarb is tender. Stir in the stem ginger syrup. Cool.
- Whisk the egg whites in a grease-free bowl until stiff. Gradually whisk in the rest of the caster sugar to form a firm and glossy meringue.
- Half-fill a frying pan with water and heat until gently simmering. Drop small spoonfuls of the meringue mixture into the water and poach for 2-3 mins until just set, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Divide the rhubarb between 4 serving glasses and top each with 3-4 poached meringues. Sprinkle with the chopped stem ginger. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 198(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.