Cod and pea bites
Prep time:plus chilling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These tasty fish snacks are perfect for parties and great finger food for kids too
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 350g (12oz) cod or haddock fillet
- 100g (4oz) frozen peas
- 30ml (2tbsp) flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 100g (4oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- Oil for shallow frying
- Herb-flavoured mayonnaise and lemon wedges to serve
- Cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling, lightly salted water until tender. Drain and mash. Meanwhile, poach the fish in a pan of water for 10-12 mins until just cooked. Remove the fish with a slotted spoon and flake it, discarding any skin and bones.
- Pour boiling water over the frozen peas then drain. Mix together the mashed potato, flaked fish and peas and season lightly. Shape into approx 16 small balls.
- Roll each ball in a little flour, then beaten egg. Finally roll in the breadcrumbs to coat completely. Place on a plate and cover and chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Shallow-fry the fish bites in batches in hot oil for 3-4 mins until crisp and golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on kitchen paper. Serve with the herb-flavoured mayonnaise as a dip and lemon wedges.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 112(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.