Creamy asparagus soup
This light, fresh tasting asparagus soup is a great vegetarian dinner if you don't fancy fish or meat.
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 450g (1lb) asparagus spears
- 700ml (1 1/4pt) vegetable stock
- 150ml (1/4pt) crème fraîche
- Heat 30ml (2tbsp) oil in a pan and fry 2 finely chopped shallots for 2-3 mins. Add 2 trimmed and thinly sliced leeks, cover and fry gently for 10 mins until soft. 2. Trim and finely chop 450g (1lb) asparagus spears, reserving a few of the tips for the garnish. Add the chopped asparagus to the pan with 700ml (1 1/4pt) vegetable stock.
- Simmer for 15-20 mins until the asparagus is tender.
- Cool slightly, then purée (in batches) in a food processor or blender. Return to the pan and stir in 150ml (1/4pt) crème fraîche. Heat through gently and season to taste.
- Serve in bowls garnished with the lightly steamed reserved asparagus tips.