Linda Barker's butternut squash quiche
Costs: Cheap as chips
This butternut squash quiche is a really versatile dish, a firm favourite in TV presenter Linda Barker's house. Use ready-made pastry if you're short on time.
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 300g (11oz) butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 bulb fennel, cut into 8 wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 375g packet shortcrust pastry, defrosted if frozen
- 3 eggs
- 300ml (½pt) whole milk
- Black pepper
- Green salad
- French dressing
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7).
- Place the vegetables in a roasting tin. Drizzle over the oil, turn to make sure they are thoroughly coated and roast in the oven for 20-30 mins. Then leave to cool slightly.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Roll out the pastry into a circle big enough to line a 28cm quiche tin. Prick the pastry with a fork, then line with greaseproof paper, weighed down with baking beans. Bake the pastry for 12-15 mins. Remove the paper and beans and return to the oven for 5 mins to dry out.
- Remove the pastry from the oven and arrange the roasted vegetables over the base.
- Beat the eggs with the milk, season with black pepper, then pour over the vegetables. Bake for 25-30 mins until the quiche has set.