French toast filled with strawberry and cheese
Skill level: Easy peasy
French toast is a delicious morning treat, perfect for kids and adults alike. Strawberries really add a fresh, summery flavour.
- 8 thick slices white bread, crusts removed
- 4tbsp strawberry jam
- 175g (6oz) Ossau-Iraty (French hard cheese), grated
- 150g (5½ oz) fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced plus extra to garnish
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 egg yolk
- 100ml (3½ fl oz) full fat milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 60g (2oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 4tbsp crème fraiche
- Preheat oven to 140°C (gas mark 1, 120°C fan oven). Spread four slices of bread with strawberry jam and sprinkle each with the cheese and top with a layer of strawberries. Then top each with remaining four slices of bread to make four sandwiches.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together eggs, egg yolk, milk, cinnamon and sugar. Carefully dip each sandwich, one at time, into the bowl of egg mix. Leave to soak for a moment for two and turn over and repeat.
- Warm a frying pan over medium heat, add a little of the butter and cook until foaming but not brown. Place a sandwich in the frying pan and cook for 3-4 mins until golden brown, turning once. As each one is cooked place each of them into oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining sandwiches and butter.
- Serve each sandwich with a dollop of crème fraiche and a strawberry.