Delia Smith's soft boiled egg
Cooking time:(7 mins for a firmer yolk)
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
In Delia's 1998 'How to Cook' series, the book's first chapter was devoted to eggs and how to boil the perfect soft-boiled egg. When featured in the TV series, it led to an increase in egg sales.
- 2 eggs
- Small saucepan with a lid
- Egg timer
- First of all, have a small saucepan filled with enough simmering water to cover the eggs by about ½-inch (1cm).
- Then quickly but gently lower the eggs into the water, one at a time using a tablespoon.
- Now switch a timer on and give the eggs exactly 1 min simmering time.
- Then remove the pan from the heat, put a lid on it and set the timer again, using the following timings:
6 mins will produce a soft, fairly liquid yolk and a white that is just set but still quite wobbly.
7 mins will produce a firmer, more creamy yolk with a white that is completely set
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.