Asparagus with halloumi
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Pan-fried halloumi cheese is perfect with the subtle flavour of asparagus. Add dressed rocket leaves for a tasty lunch or dinner party starter.
- 6-8 asparagus spears per portion, peeled from the tips down
- 20g (¾oz) buttery spread
- 2 handfuls rocket leaves, picked and lightly rinsed
- 4 x 30g (1¼) slices of halloumi
- 1tsp olive oil
- 1tsp lemon juice
- Snap the woody end from each asparagus spear and discard. Peel the stalks carefully from the tips down. Drop into a large pan of water and cook for 2-3 mins until tender. Drain, brush with buttery spread and season lightly with pepper.
- Meanwhile, place a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and once hot, place the halloumi slices in the pan and fry for 1-2 mins on each side until a rich golden brown in colour.
- Mix together the olive oil and lemon juice for the dressing.
- Place the buttery spread asparagus spears in a line in the centre of each plate and scatter the rocket leaves in the middle of the spears. Drizzle with a little lemon oil before topping with the fried halloumi slice. This works well with the asparagus served warm or cold.