Roast aubergine with cheese
Another great vegetarian cheese recipe, this time using aubergine. This vegetable tastes great and lowers your cholesterol, so there's no excuse not to give this recipe a go!
- 2 medium aubergines cut in half lengthways
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp tahini, (sesame paste)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2tsp ground cumin
- 1/2tsp ground coriander
- 1tbsp fresh thyme leaves, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 100g (31/2oz) Goat's Cheese log, rind removed and diced (available from deli counter)
- 75g (23/4oz) baby cherry tomatoes
- 100g (31/2oz) Emmental, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 190°C/gas mark 5/170°C fan oven. Score the cut sides of the aubergine in a criss-cross pattern with a sharp knife. Drizzle with the olive oil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Carefully scoop out the flesh from the aubergines without damaging the skins. Finely chop the flesh and put into a bowl. Mix together with the tahini, garlic, spices, thyme, lemon juice and seasoning. Fold in the goat's cheese and cherry tomatoes and spoon back into the aubergine skins.
- Place on a baking tray and scatter the Emmental over the top. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve immediately with rice and salad.