Cooking: 45 mins
6 large red mullet fillets, scaled and pin boned
30g (1oz) buttery spread
675g (1 1/2lb) new potatoes
100ml-150ml (3 1/4fl oz to 1/4pt) low fat crème fraiche (optional)
2tbsp finely chopped chives
1 lemon, juiced
100ml double cream
25-50g (1-2oz) buttery spread
6 heaped tbsp of frozen peas, de-frosted
1. Boil the new potatoes in water for 20-25 mins until cooked and tender. Drain the potatoes and gently crush with a fork into chunky pieces. Season with pepper before stirring in the buttery spread and crème fraiche, if using. The chopped chives can be added just before serving.
2. To make the sauce, boil together the lemon juice, water and cream, allowing to reduce in volume until the cream has slightly thickened.
3. When ready to serve, whisk in the buttery spread, seasoning with pepper before stirring in the peas and chopped mint. The sauce can be whizzed with an electric hand blender once the buttery spread has been added. This helps guarantee all of the sauce ingredients emulsify to create the buttery spread consistency.
4. Heat a tsp of buttery spread in a large frying pan and once sizzling season the red mullet fillets, placing them in the pan skin side down. Fry over a medium heat for 6-7 mins before turning in the pan. Continue to fry for a further minute or two and the fillets are ready.
5. Present the crushed potatoes in the centre of a plate or bowl. Spoon the pea and mint buttery spread sauce around, before topping the potatoes with the crispy fillets of red mullet