Venison burgers with blue cheese
Skill level: Easy peasy
You can use Stilton, Roquefort or Dolcelatte in these succulent venison burgers topped with crispy bootlace shallots
- 700 g./1 ½ lb venison mince
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5tbsp double cream
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ½ tbsp chopped chives
- 4 crushed juniper berries
- 200 g/7 oz blue cheese
- Olive oil
- 16 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 rolls, slit in half and lightly toasted
- Lettuce, slices of tomato, red onion and gherkin to serve
- Season the mince and, using your hands, lightly combine with the cream, garlic, parsley, chives and juniper berries. Shape into 4 patties and make a slight indentation in the top with your fingers.
- Divide the cheese into 4 and shape each piece into a ball. Insert into the burgers and pull the meat over the top and seal in the cheese. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the shallots until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a kitchen paper.
- Preheat a griddle pan until very hot. Sear the burgers to seal in the juices then cook for 2 minutes on each side so that the cheese melts.
- Place a lettuce leaf on the base of each toasted bun, perch a burger on top and finish with slices of tomato, red onion, gherkin and a helping of bootlace shallots.