Butternut, sweet onion and feta salad
Fancy a break from boring old salads? Why not make this exciting variant with healthy and tasty butternut squash as one of the main ingredients!
- 1 large or 2 small butternut squash, about 1kg in weight in total2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Sweet Onion, thinly sliced
- 100g mixed salad leaves such as baby spinach and frisee
- 20 black olives
- 150g Feta cheese
- Salt and pepper
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Leaves from 1 sprig of oregano, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Top and tail the squash, peel, cut in half and discard the seeds. Chop the squash into 2cm chunks, toss in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the squash in a roasting pan big enough to take the squash comfortably in a single layer. Cook the squash in the oven for 30-40 minutes until it is tender and browning at the edges. Leave to cool to room temperature.
- While the squash is cooking, make the dressing by mixing together the vinegar, olive oil, garlic, oregano and a little salt in a medium-sized bowl. Add the sliced onion and leave to marinate in the dressing for about an hour.
- To serve, place the salad leaves on a platter. Top with the marinated onions, butternut squash and olives. Crumble the feta over the top of the salad and season with black pepper. Serve with crusty bread.