Herby hot dogs with sweet onion relish
Skill level: Easy peasy
This herby and sweet onion twist on a traditional snack is an unexpected treat.
For the relish50g unsalted butter
- 2 large Sweet Onions, finely sliced
- 20g light brown soft sugar
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 4 good quality pork sausages with herbs
- 4 long crusty rolls or petit pains
- Rocket leaves or lamb's lettuce, to serve
- Mustard, to serve
- First make the relish. Melt the butter in a large heavy-based saucepan, add the sweet onions and cook gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft but not brown. Then add the sugar, vinegar and lemon juice and continue to cook gently for another half an hour, stirring from time to time. Towards the end of the cooking time, turn the heat up and cook off any excess liquid, stirring continuously, until the onions are soft and sticky. Leave to cool a little.
- While the onions are cooling, cook the sausages on a hot barbecue, or grill or fry for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked through.
- To serve the hot dogs, split some crusty rolls and fill with lettuce. Place a sausage in each roll and top with mustard and a generous spoonful of Sweet Onion relish.