Toffee apple tarte tartin
If you like apple pie, you're really going to love this toffee take on the traditional recipe
- 50g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 50ml toffee and vodka liqueur
- 4 eating apples
- 230g sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 7. Heat a 20cm frying pan (one with a metal handle, that will fit in your oven) over a moderate heat and add the butter. When the butter has melted add the sugar and cook for about 5 minutes or until it turns into a golden caramel. Remove from the heat and carefully stir in the toffee and vodka liqueur. If it solidifies return to a very low heat until it melts again.
- Peel and quarter the apples then remove the cores. Toss the apples in the caramel and then squash into a single layer with the rounded sides of the apple facing down. Leave to cool.
- Unroll the pastry and cut it into a circle ? make sure it is large enough to comfortably cover your pan. If it isn't you will need to roll out the pastry to fit. Put the pastry on top of the apples and tuck the sides in around the apples. Make a small hole with the tip of a knife in the top of the pastry so that any steam can escape.
- Put the pan into the oven and cook for about 25-30 minutes or until golden and puffed up. Remove from the oven and leave to stand for about 5 minutes. Put a large plate over the top and invert the whole lot to turn out ? be careful, as the caramel will be molten and very hot. Serve immediately with plenty of toffee and vodka liqueur flavoured whipped cream or ice cream.